Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wave of Life

Here’s my typical overstated preface:

Okay, so I'm a major musical novice. I like to write poems and come up with jingles though, so as shown on my blog, that is something I've "resolved to take more seriously." My writing has forced me to explore music in a way that I otherwise would not have. So there's another awesome, healthy, byproduct of trying to formulate my inner monologue on paper, or in this case, my blog. So with that said, I've got a looooooooong way to go, but, I'm beginning to make baby steps in my attempt to fully wrap my mind around the beautiful gift that music is. Last night I feel like I had a baby, minor, little breakthrough on some remote, insignificant level. Not earth shattering by any means, but it's those 'breakthroughs' that are currently serving as my reward in my literary/musical adventure. (Like a pristine Vista after a long hike.) I have a little sample recording of the chorus that I can barely play on my guitar, (I'm just pumped I'm getting to the point where I can write the notes too, whether I can play them perfectly or not.) I can almost get there with the right pace for this song, I'll be pretty happy when I can. If I keep my focus at the level its been at lately I should continue to make these so called "breakthroughs" more frequently. (Yay!!!) And finally, thanks to all who have emailed and left comments. Those are like food for my creative soul. Just recognizing that you read my poem and thought it was enjoyable, helps build my confidence, and with my confidence, I believe my abilities grow as well. All comments are Welcome!! (Side note: I think I’m so eager for feedback b/c I recognize this isn’t something all of my friends will share an interest in. Nor should they, I like that I have a diverse network whose interests vary vastly. But if you enjoy reading my stuff let me know, cuz I appreciate it.

I’ve been practing this rift for over a week and I figured I might as well come up with something solid to start singing with it.

And lastly, to move onto the theme, I wrote this last night. I was texting with an old friend when I mistyped a word, but instead of it looking like j#lrmEO or some other nonsense, I found the word “Kermit” capitalized and all, on my screen. Which is my Grandpa’s name, (Dad’s Dad), so I retyped the msg and took it as a sign that I should put down my fiddle and pick up my pen. I thought I’d try to transcribe my admiration I have for my Dad, and how his loss and other setbacks in his life helped forged him into and invincible human being, (seriously though, Mike D is straight up bad ass, don’t ever forget). So I picked up my pen but the only words I could hear were the words of my Dads rarely seen sensitive side. I could hear him telling me, with words beyond sincere, how incredible of a human being he thought I was, and how he believed I could do absolutely anything in this world. Believe it or not, the conversation I was playing in my revision took place in the Sportspage on my 26th birthday. We went there for lunch, and no, this was not a drunken emotional convo – we had no beer, it was just my Dad telling me he loved me in his own way. So with that said, I wrote this song to everyone who believes they are destined for true genuine, honest, earth shattering greatness!! (Or believed they were and are currently amidst it. If that’s you, you’re a straight up badass – congrats!!) Further, the simple metaphor is the ocean is life and you have to learn to ride it, in this case I’m thinking about surfing. Let me know what you think!!!!

I will definitely add more to this, particularly since it’s something I can sorta, almost, depending on the moment, play with some confidence.

The chords are G, D, Am, C



Rip Curl
Big Girl
I'm ready to go
To Catch my Wave
And Get on with Show
To Catch my Wave
And never Plateau

Rip Curl
Big Girl
I'm saying Hello
I've paid my dues
You reap what you sow

Rip Curl
Big Girl
I'm ready to Blow
Onto the scene
I said I'm ready to go!!



To Live this
life
Is to float the Ocean

Enduring
Waves
Riding the commotion

Still looking
To catch my
To catch my big wave

So I share
my poems
and try to live life brave

See I strongly
Paddle
In this big strong Sea
Cuz Life is
A battle
So I paddle strongly!!
Gonna ride my
Ride my
Life on this board
It's the ride
The ride
that is the reward
Chorus
Rip Curl
G
Big Girl
D
I'm ready to go
Am C

To Catch
G
My Wave
D
And Get on with Show
Am C


I say this a lot, but more to come!!!!

P.S. I have a shitty recording of me playing just the chorus last night (all by myself). And if you're interested in listening to it, ask nicely, and promise to be open minded to it's potential; I might email it you!!!

1 comment:

  1. dude that is dope!! One of my fav's thus far. I could totally feel the groove. Send me the audio clip son!!!

    I am envious of your gift, but proud for you at the same time man. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete